Monday, August 9, 2010

Facilitators: God's Answer to Apathy

My vision is to work as a group facilitator. Something like a creative organizationalist but for large groups of people. Specializing in working to bring forth the unrealized and untapped potential of a group, I would direct experiential activities to uncover obstacles and unused strengths. With everything on the table, the group could have a conversation about their own hopes for group work.

For all intents and purposes I already do this but with a fixed focus of nutrition. Now, I broaden my context and address issues from body image to food access. But, being able to draw from any and all subject matter relevant to the work group, I can prompt a much more personal conversation and begin to uncover all the baggage and all the promise.

I was first introduced to the idea and/or profession of creative organizationalist from my girlfriend who was telling me how her boss would consult with a profession facilitator. Essentially, the facilitator would draw out the client's passion and direction and challenge them to follow them out to their logical conclusion. Met with a fantastic logic, people find themselves more hopeful and confident they can achieve.

The question we are not seriously asking ourselves is why we can't achieve our goals. What is standing in our way? With renewed confidence, a network of professions already in the field, and a long-term plan for implementation, we have a far higher chance of seeing our dreams achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment