Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rise with Me for the Food we Share

Going in to tomorrows first lesson at The Bridge I am anticipating a little resistance from the students there. If for no other reason than they have more things to worry about than worrying about what kinds of foods and drinks they are putting into their bodies. With that in mind, I need to work to make nutrition a place where students can speak freely about why food matters to them. More, typically problems of boredom arise when I am doing too much talking, and problems of behavior happen when I am not doing enough talking. The complication comes from having to understand the balance between boring the students and giving them enough slack to choke me (not literally, of course). I think the stress I impose also builds when I am trying to convince people of some scientific food rule that only adds to the inconvenience of being a kid with few resources and even fewer food options. Complexity ought to be added only after an initial period of group relations building and passionate discussion about the basics of nutrition and food.

A second great challenge will be motivating these young people to care and prioritize nutrition/food higher than before. Such presentations of nutrition as more than a lifeless science might conflict with preconceived ideas of food as a convenience activity or a nonessential, but in reality what this means is having more pride in their bodies, their money, their culture, and their communities. Pointing out these areas of interest and convergences of importance for them should make the motivation much easier, and such conversations will facilitate transitions from banking educational theory to critical educational theory.

Key to my success at these schools is not seeing lessons in terms of the challenges but in terms of the assets these challenges provide. So, when thinking about the resistance I will potentially face upon getting into the schools at first, I must identify and address the gorilla in the room. This only applies if there is a gorilla in the room. (My anxiety about resistance might not materialize into anything.) Regardless, I must stay focused on fostering a positive atmosphere for discussion of nutrition, food, culture, pride in community, while leaving room for input from the students. My objective will be to activate the passion of the students and then direct that passion in the right direction.

Critical to these lessons is my ability to present my message of pride in food with pride in myself and pride in the group. I must remember that food alone goes to waste but with people sharing and enjoying we can make feasts of not just delicious meats and fruits but with laughter and stories. I must push these kids to volunteer stories of fun they had with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment