Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Evolution of the Perfect Food World

So, the Perfect Food World was not the perfect food activity I had imagined it to be when I originally planned it. However, as is the tendency with first time activities in the classroom, the students provided the catalyst for it's evolution. The Perfect Food World with it's google map has become (through direct editing from teachers) the Perfect Food World with students creating their very own healthy food businesses. My intention when conducting this lesson is to give the students an opportunity to work critically and creatively with the work of their food community. I want them to be asking questions like: How could we get healthier foods to eat? Why don't they serve healthier food at the cornerstores in my neighborhood?
And if that kind of sentiment piques their defense of the neighborhood cornerstore (which has happened in classes already) have them think about how the cornerstores could present the healthy food in a more appealing manner. All the while I can encourage/instruct them to consider where they want to build and sell their food from and perhaps even where would they get their healthy produce. (This kind of project requires my being able to urge them to think critically about taking action in their neighborhood, only do it here in the classroom. Such a challenge is not easy to manage.) If they refuse to create such a business, that just gives me an opportunity to ask why.

Ideally, after a few presentations of neighborhood food businesses a class conversation would emerge and from which I cease to be the special guest speaker and become the facilitator. If the class can evolve to the point where I no longer hold the role of lecturer or special guest speaker, then I think we will have experienced a real moment of empowerment. Frankly, I am excited to see what would happen after that point in the evolution of the Perfect Food World.

No comments:

Post a Comment