Monday, November 30, 2009

Philadelphia Food Hunt

Some time last December I wrote a long paper on the implementation by the University of Maryland of sustainable food ways. Meaning, I wanted to know where the University bought its food and how it reached the University's diners. As a UMD student I was curious to know what role my school was playing in the progressive food industry and what next steps needed to be made in order to reach a sustainable model of food consumption and production. Well I did that part and needless to say my conclusion was shocking. While the University was consuming huge amounts of food, it was also working to recycle a great deal of it. Of course, UMD could have been doing more but really I thought the progress already made was a good first measure. What we needed in the future was a plan for future progressive steps.

I am now living in Philadelphia where food is as huge an issue as it is anywhere and I intend to do some of the same research here as I did there in Maryland. My first job will be to determine exactly what my standards for sustainability are before conducting research so that I can remain as unbiased as possible. After conceptualizing a target for food progress, I will decide on a food provider to survey and judge. Collecting as much data as I can I will then put the picture together to construct a profile of the organization that is relevant to my locale. Such a critical look at local food ways is necessary for the upkeep of progressive values and logical health choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment