Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Sequences of Growth

Recently I was advised by a friend to document in chronological order the work of the young people I work with in my cooking clubs. I see now how this kind of recording of skill building, critical thinking, and team building can prove to be useful not just for my own presentations, but to debrief with the young people. As I show them past periods of work and ask them to talk amongst themselves about what they were doing, what they were learning and how it relates to their lives. These opportunities for reflection are critical to keeping past lessons relevant to the present.

I must also work to be creative with the documentation I have with these young people. Perhaps, creating some kind of advertisement for future cooking clubs, or using action pictures to personalize certificates of achievement for the participants. I will continue to brainstorm and create the most memorable documentation that will simultaneously promote critical thinking and organized communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment