Friday, May 6, 2011

A Worthwhile Future

When I consider future work options I conclude that my current area might be just where I need to be. Nutrition has a future of more and more importance to Public Health leaders, Employers, and citizens, as the American diet of processed food and the American lifestyle of sedentary living both come to be embraced around the world. Thus, nutrition will be relevant as a curriculum for a long time. Now, what I must plan is my role in that growing world of Nutrition Education. Thusfar, I have been putting a great deal of emphasis on leadership and getting as many students as possible into those position thereby "empowering" them. Unfortunately, the great interest of those potential students and my desire to empower as many students as possible has led to an exposure to a breadth of cooking techniques and nutrition information, but not a depth of skill, focus, and motivation.

With that said, for next year I must make certain of four things I think are integral to the development of these young nutrition leaders: (1) I limit the leadership positions (in whatever capacity I create) so that I can balance the group's intimacy with the information and their opportunities to work with the food. (2) I, myself, attain as much cooking skill, through trainings and my own experimentation, as possible. Obviously the more I know, the more I can share with the students. (3) I must make certain these programs in leadership culminate in a performance-based test like a parent workshop "catered" by the students involved in the cooking club. (4) I must contextualize the lessons within a framework of leadership (we all know why we should be leaders in this field, but how can we apply the lessons we learn to help others?) and creativity/fun. This can manifest as cafeteria tastings with original recipes designed/chosen by the students.

There exists an opportunity to challenge young people to take their health back for themselves, but the challenge must be palatable. I believe this attempt to empower is the best choice we have.

My work empowers me too. When I'm working with young people I feel the greatest challenge is to give them the chance to think critically and act critically. That same opportunity was given to me and it changed my life. Passing that on makes the entire experience worth the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment