Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Teacher's Intentions

Close to a year ago I was approached on the University of Maryland campus by a TFA recruiter looking to convince me that my best option after college was teaching. She knew my experience leading numerous social justice organizations, my passion for learning, and that I had a concentration in Education. She quoted statistics regarding the sad state of US education (Although she didn't need to. I spent every Friday afternoon at a local elementary school. I knew the state of US education.) and how vital this movement for inspired teachers is. She asked me bluntly, "If you won't teach, who will?" At the time I patiently explained to her that I knew the kind of responsibility teachers must shoulder, the energy they must have, and the skills required to hold the attention of any group of young people and teach them. I told her that while I possessed most of these qualities, I was not ready to be a teacher. I assured her and myself (because at this point the intensity of the moment reached a fevered pitch) that in the future I would be ready to teach. In the future I would be ready to look the state of US education in the eyes and add my shoulder to the millions of other teachers filling the breach. I told her when that time came TFA would hear from me.

The future is now.

My father was a teacher for thirteen years so his advice is almost priceless. When he tells me to foster discussions in classes I know its true. When he tells me to integrate fun into the curriculum I know its true. And reflecting on my own experience either under the tutelage of a good teacher or even think back on my limited teaching time, I know the best lessons/activities planned and run were the ones when the teacher's role evolves from dictator to moderator. The worst lessons are learned under a teacher who wrest authority from their class never to give it back. Lessons rooted in insecurity instead of creativity and fun too often fall on deaf ears and potentially do more harm than good. I seek to teach now because in the last eight months I have grown to know better the burden of inadequate education held by students.

I seek to join TFA because I know I can help young people become critical listeners and thinkers. I seek to join TFA so that I might empower our young people to take their education into their own hands and work with teachers instead of against them. I feel passionately about these facets of education because critical thinking and empowerment changed my life not too long ago. There was a time in college when I was completely ignorant to the power and freedom granted by education.

Originally entering college I was a Math major because among the list of majors it was the only area of study I recognized (obviously I hadn't yet committed much to my higher education). I stalled in my studies, I didn't see the application of the field I was studying to my life. I couldn't own my education until I developed an understanding and appreciation for the real world. Then, like a flash of lightning, the books I was reading for class began making sense of the world around me. And I cared. Not to become a number in a huge university, I saw my time from that point further as an opportunity to create my own theories and get involved with other people who were thinking and caring about the world around us. Whether they were teachers, peers, or local activists I had a new culture to believe in: education.

Since my introduction to critical pedagogies and action-oriented curriculum I changed my major area of study and have been across the country living my educational experiences amongst my peers and the real world instead of relying on textbooks to color my conception of the world. From Mississippi to Texas, I have applied my mind to real world problems that after critically studying, discussing, and acting out now seem ageless. But, no matter what the city I was in or the problem I was looking into I relied on critical thought and activism to solve the problems. The problem I am now looking at is one concerning American education. Only this systemic problem is a personal problem too; a problem close to my heart. I want the opportunity to invest myself, to change young peoples lives in the same way my life was changed through education. My success as a potential corp member is dependent on my ability to mentor my students and empower them through critical thought and discussion. A classroom infusing these ideals of education might show younger people a different way to enrich and understand their lives.

If I were to hope to accomplish anything through TFA it would be to do for other young people what was done for me through education. That kind of education is my luxury; it is my platform. Its a powerful motivating force that is matched only by its own fragility. If I could inspire my students to a high level of education and create a classroom culture of support to encourage each and every mind to pursue their educational interests I would consider myself a success.

The dreams of our young people are the future of our communities, nation, and world. If I have anything to do with it, future generations will be taught to reflect, discuss, and act. I'll teach them to think for themselves. Such is a future I can believe in.

1 comment: